[Pw_forum] Issues with Phonons

Hua Bao dorabman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 04:58:57 CET 2013

Dear Thierry Tsafack and QE users,

I actually have similar problems as Theirry. I am recently trying to
calculate phonon dispersion relation for two dimensional materials, but
always got negative frequencies.

First, I am pretty sure my structure is fully relaxed. It is also stable
based on the literature report (they use VASP for calculation).
I used norm-conserving type of pseudopotential.
The negative frequency appears near the zone-center. At zone center the
frequency is exactly zero.

I've tried to resolve the problem using the following attempts:
1. Change different ASR
2. Increase ecutrho to from 240 to 480 Ry (8 times ecut)
3. Increase ecutwfc from 45 to 90
4. Increase k-point mesh size from 16*16*1 to 32*32*1
5. Increase tr2_ph from 1e-18 to 1e-20
6. Increase conv_thr from 1e-8 to 1e-12

Since the calculations are pretty time consuming, it is difficult to try
even smaller convergence threshold.

I really hope someone can help with this issue.

Thanks,
Hua Bao