[Pw_forum] [100] surface relaxation of Al

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon May 6 19:25:45 CEST 2013

Hi Denis,

not sure anything looks wrong, a part that your smearing is quite small,
and you might want to test that and the k-points used.

In any case, you could try to leave all atoms free to relax, and study
interlayer relaxations as a function of thickness, and see how the outer
interlayer relaxations converge to their true value as a function of
thickness (and progressively the inner relaxations as well).

Last - no need to sampe in the x direction - your system
should not have any band dispersion there (if it has, there is not
enough vacuum).

Hence, 1 16 16 0 1 1 is a very good sampling (even 1 8 8 0 1 1 would
be great, provided you use maybe a more reasonable smearing of .01-.02).

				nicola