[Pw_forum] big difference between "total magnetization" and "absolute magnetization" for 4f elements

mohnish pandey mohnish.iitk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 17:35:39 CET 2013

Did you try using different initial spin configurations? If your interested
in FM ground state then may be you should try initial magnetic
configuration as FM. e.g. +1, +1 for both.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM, 琨陶 <taokun76 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestions. When I set two atoms in the unit cell
> to be antiferromagnetic, the "total magnetization" is nearly zero, and
> the "absolute magnetization" is about 14.67. And the magnetic moment
> for two atoms are about 7.16 and -7.18, which is more or less
> acceptable.
>
> Now, the question is that why "total magnetization" and "absolute
> magnetization" differs so much if I want to force two atoms into a
> ferromagnetic configuration.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks!
>
> With regards,
> Kun Tao
>

> On 13 March 2013 11:14, Andrei Malashevich <andrei.malashevich at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> > If you want to model antiferromagnetic structure, you should define two
> > types of atoms, Gd1 and Gd2.
> > Change ntyp to 2. Use, e.g.,
> >  starting_magnetization(1)=1.0
> > starting_magnetization(2)=-1.0
> >
> > ATOMIC_SPECIES
> >  Gd1  1.0  Gd.GGA-PBE-paw.UPF
> >  Gd2  1.0  Gd.GGA-PBE-paw.UPF
> > ATOMIC_POSITIONS {crystal}
> > Gd1  0.33333333  0.66666667  0.25
> > Gd2 0.66666667  0.33333333  0.75
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM, 琨陶 <taokun76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yes, the bulk Gd without Hubbard U is antiferromagnetic. If I set the
> >> two atoms in the unit cell to be antiferromagnetic, the "total
> >> magnetization" should be equal to zero, and the "absolute
> >> magnetization" is what I have gotten. Now, however, the "total
> >> magnetization" is not zero. Could you give me some suggestions?
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> With regards,
> >> Kun Tao

> be

> thanks!

Regards,
MOHNISH,
Mohnish Pandey,
PhD Student,
Center for Atomic Scale Materials Design,
Department of Physics,
Technical University of Denmark