[Pw_forum] Periodicity

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 27 12:45:40 CEST 2013

> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 06:06:37 +0200
> From: akohlmey at gmail.com
> To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] Periodicity
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Yantao Wu <ywu at g.hmc.edu> wrote:
>> Dear Axel,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your reply. I understand that the energy wouldn't
>> exactly be doubled if you just put two identical systems together. But if QE
>> does treat the system as an infinite lattice, what is exactly the meaning of
>> the total energy in the output? How does QE obtain this output energy from
>> the calculated band energies in a manner that is proportional to the size of
>> the supercell. That is, I don't quite understand why you say
>>
>> "the reason that you *do* get exactly twice the energy if you double
>> the system (and reduce the kpoint grid corresspondingly) is exactly
>> proof of that."
>
> the total energy of an infinite system is ... infinity. so that is a
> pointless quantity.
> what you do get is the energy of _one unit cell_ *in* the infinite system.
> this one unit cell has interactions with its periodic neighbors (is
> the cell itself).
> perhaps you should look up how Ewald summation works to see how you
> can compute the energy of a unit cell in an intinitely large lattice.
>
> if you have an isolated unit cell, you have no interactions with
> periodic neighbors. so doubling the system, *significantly* changes
> the energy from double the single system. however, doubling a unit
> cell in a periodic system should give you exactly double the energy.
> the one thing that may make this not exactly double is k-point
> sampling you have to make sure that your sampling of k-space is the
> same, so you have to reduce the k-point grid, if you double the unit
> cell.
>
> if this still confuses you, you should look things up in a text book.
> there are several really good ones around that cover electronic
> structure calculations in condensed matter physics.

Many universities have good lecture notes online and of course full text
theses on google scholar can provide a lot of introductory. citeseer has lots of math and computer
related academic work. I usually end up going to wikipedia
for many quick references- in fact I think I did just check them for Ewald sum and looking up how
lattice vectors are defined. You can not always assume it to be accurate but often it is fine.