[Pw_forum] Could anyone share a stable pseudopotential of lithium?

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:24:38 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Johannes Moeller
<j.moeller1 at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Miao,
>
> I've used Li.pbe-s-van_ak.UPF to calculate phonon frequencies in LiF with
> good results. If you know approximately what you're looking for in your
> material it might still be worth a try.

as the person who initially created some of those pseudopotentials
(many, many moons ago), i should perhaps add a few comments as well.

creating a very transferable pseudopotential for lithium seems
almost impossible. and even the existing ones have to be used
with great care. if you want to run calculations without worries,
you may be better off using some all-electron method.

when creating a psp for Li you have two choices:
you can create a "conventional" psp (keep 1s in core),
but those really only make sense for metallic Li and
then you usually need NLCC as well.

if you look for (ionic) Li compounds, you frequently need
to use a "semi-core" psp (i.e. *no* electrons in the core
just a little smearing out of the core charge as in hydrogen psps),
but for those you *have* to make sure you use an adequate
(i.e. quite high) density cutoff. in addition it took quite a bit
of tweaking to get a decent set of parameters for the "ak"
set of Li psps. for many test cases, there were ghost states.

those potentials *have* been used successfully for multiple
studies, but on-and-off people have been reporting problems
that seemed impossible to resolve through tweaking the
pseudization parameters.

my conclusion from this is experience is, that for Li the
plane-wave psp approach is reaching its limitations easily,
so getting proper and consistent results includes some
amount of chance. if you are not comfortable with this,
you will have to look for some other approach or take the
challenge and demonstrate that it *is* possible to generate
a good Li psp. perhaps using some other pseudization
scheme, that hasn't been tried yet.

ciao,
    axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0