[Pw_forum] Potential problem with Li.pbe-n-van.UPF PsP

Johannes Moeller j.moeller1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 13 17:38:47 CET 2013

Dear All,

Just to report a potential problem with one of the Li pseudopotentials on the Espresso website:

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/upf_files/Li.pbe-n-van.UPF

when I calculate the lattice parameter of LiF with this PsP using vc-relax, I get a value that is 18% larger than the experimental one. Cutoffs etc should be good enough. Running the same calculation with

http://www.quantum-espresso.org/wp-content/uploads/upf_files/Li.pbe-s-van_ak.UPF

I get a lattice parameter that is within 1% of the experimental value. The former uses a non-linear core correction and does not include core electrons. Perhaps this is causing the problem, the ions LiF are very tightly packed.

Full in- and output files are at

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1555183/Li_PP_vc-relax_sample.tgz

Hope this is useful.

Best wishes,