[Pw_forum] Titanium Pseudopotential

Iwan Darmadi iwan_darmadi at rocketmail.com
Wed Jan 2 08:06:31 CET 2013

Dear All,

I am confused about occupations in Ti pseudopotential (no matter it is pbe, blyp, or anything else). In the UPF file, it is written like this :
nl pn  l   occ
3S  3  0  2.00
3P  3  1  6.00
4S  4  0  2.00
3D  3  2  1.00

Everyone knows that electron configuration of Ti is [Ar] 4s(2) 3d(2), so my questions are :

1) Why occupation of 3d in the UPF is 1, not 2 instead (according to Ti electron conf.) ?

2) In case I want to insert ion Ti4+ into my crystal system, how could I assure that the Ti pseudopotential is in 4+ ion state, not 3+ state ?

Best regards,

Iwan D.

***

Iwan Darmadi
 Undergrad.Student - Department of Physics

 Universitas Indonesia