[Pw_forum] Question about charged supercell

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Mon Feb 25 17:14:55 CET 2013

Dear Stefano, Nicola,

Thank you very much Stefano for your clear explanation of derivative
discontinuities of the ground-state energy functional (at integer values of
the particle number) which leads to discontinuity in the chemical potential.
The NaCl example you explained is what that is used to resovle the famous
paradox, leading to the formulation of the ensemble-DFT (Perdew et al, 1982,
if I remember correctly). However, what mechanism brings the small fraction
of charge from "A" fragment to "B"? There is no overlap between the occupied
Kohn-Sham orbitals of "A" and "B", irrespective of the approximation chosen
for the XC-functional.
Nicola, where do you use the linear property (for particle number between
integer values) of the energy functional?
I use the Janack's theorem and half occupation numbers in HOMO or in LUMO to
find the ionization energy or electron affinity of a system irrespective of
the approximation in XC-functional.
To summarize my need, I would like to control (by hand) the occupation
numbers of KS orbitals. How is it possible?

Bests,
         mahmoud