[Pw_forum] local and global minimums in relaxation

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:34:24 CET 2013

btw, where are old posts archived, I wanted to post these comments on Linked In
Computational chemistry group to explain my reaction to a post someone
else made there earlier ( see link to water model below).

> From: marchywka at hotmail.com
> To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 11:44:44 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] local and global minimums in relaxation
>

> > Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 23:20:34 -0500
> > From: correlation at tut.by
> > To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
> > Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] local and global minimums in relaxation
> >
> > I see..
> > Thank you!
>
> Well as I understand the situation, normally you have a molecule that you want to
> optimize and hope your original structure is close enough that the "forces" the minimizer
> sees get it to the right answer. Most molecules are not in some global minimum configuration
> of atoms right? You could take atoms infinitely far apart I guess and see what you get.
>
> Personally though I did have a related question and that is what is neglected by trying to
> find a static ground state and ignoring any fluctuations? This is probably not yet
> relevant compared to errors in getting static result but curious if anyone wanted to comment.

This was just posted on the linked in Computational Chemistry group, showing importance
of fluctuation in understanding water, thought it was relevant to my earlier comment LOL

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2013/02/water-structure-tetrahedral-controversy-xas-xafs