[Pw_forum] Disparities between HPC's

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Thu Feb 7 17:36:28 CET 2013

On 7 February 2013 16:58, Kucukbenli Emine <emine.kucukbenli at epfl.ch> wrote:

>  3.encourage users to report these pseudopotentials because i think it is
> most of the time due to a very hard pseudo..

...or a very soft pseudo. If the augmentation spheres of different pseudos
overlap, the generalized orthogonality of projectors and atomic
pseudo-wavefunctions does not hold anymore: for functions from different
atoms it is assumed but not imposed. Under this condition the positive
definiteness of dr2 is not guaranteed any more.

Another face of this problem: when using real-space augmentation charge you
will get wrong total charge. The error message tells you to "increase
cutoff", but it will not not help in this case.

It's a tricky situation: if the pseudo is too hard \beta delocalizes
because of aliasing in the Fourier transform; if the pseudo is too soft
\beta just overlaps. In any case the result is that we have interference
between different augmentation spheres.

I've spent an afternoon in a naive effort to reimpose orthonormality on the
G-space grid but could not finish before having to move on more urgent
matters. If any good-soul has some time to dedicate to this issue...

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6