[Pw_forum] Error in routine regterg (5014): cannot allocate psi

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Sat Feb 2 21:14:11 CET 2013

On Feb 2, 2013, at 19:06 , vijaya subramanian wrote:

> Error in routine regterg (5014):   cannot allocate psi
> [...] Is the error due to memory problems or something else.

insufficient memory: "allocate (psi(...))' returns an error code.

> From the output it appears I have enough memory but not sure how
> that works.

nobody is sure how it works. Consider that you have all kind of stuff
running on the same memory, all kind of stuff that comes with the
program (the executable itself, libraries, etc), that the memory report
may not always (and maybe ever) be accurate (it isn't for sure if you
do any nonstandard calculations), that a process may have further
limitations to the memory it can access (typically smaller than the
physical memory), etc.

P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222