[Pw_forum] smoothing PDOS issue (QE 5.0.2)

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Mon Apr 29 21:35:20 CEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 18:19 +0200, David Grifith wrote:

> "   Obsolete variables, ignored:
>     io_choice
>     smoothing   "

very obsolete: removed on 30 June 2004. "Smoothing" was in eV,
"degauss" is in Ry, so in case you are used to a jurassic
version of QE, you just need to set degauss=smoothing/13.6058
in order to have the same results as before.

> overall the only way that I can make my PDOS graphs as smooth as DOS
> ones is reducing degauss value to 0.01 ! but in some cases that we
> study the proper value for degauss is 0.001 and reducing it we may
> miss something. mightn't it ?

your definition of "reducing" is not the same I use: "reducing" =
"making it smaller". Anyway: the broadening you need for scf
calculations is not necessarily the same you need for PDOS.
You can safely specify a different broadening for PDOS. It
will affect only the way your pictures look like.

> We are going to compare a large sets of PDOS and DOS graphs and prefer
> not to compare one graph with lots of singularities with the others
> that are too smooth. I appreciate your advice in advance.

My advice is to look at the attached notes, look at the dos_gam routine
in PHonon/PH/matdyn.f90, implement PDOS with tetrahedra.

P.

--
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222