[Pw_forum] Different number of symmetry operations

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Fri Apr 19 08:06:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-18 at 15:30 -0400, David Strubbe wrote:

> Why are symmetries with fractional translations disabled
> in supercells?

because there is no simple way to ensure that a group of
point symmetries: rotations + fractional translations, is
a group in the mathematical sense of the term. In a true
cell, with no additional underlying translational symmetry,
fractional translation are well-defined, while in a supercell
there are several possible choices, differing for a lattice
translation of the underlying cell. Years ago I didn't find
a simple way to ensure that the choice of fractional
translation was consistent with the properties of a symmetry
group (if it isn't, the symmetrization procedure breaks down).
Given the limited interest of this specific case, I haven't
inquired any further.

P.
--
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222