[Pw_forum] PW is frozen

TRINITE Virginie virginie.trinite at thalesgroup.com
Mon Apr 15 16:50:14 CEST 2013

Dear all

I have investigated a lot of configurations concerning this problem: changing the library fftw3 blas and lapack, changing the version of espresso , compiling on a node and not on the master, changing the optimization level from -O3 to -O2 (I have no -x flags by default)....
The problem change or disappear for a particular input file, but I have not found a stable situation where I can run all the tests of PW without error with an increasing number of processors (say until 8 processors).
The more common error is pw frozen, with no output (difficult to debug).
With the tests of PW, the berry calculation is usually  the first one to fail with message like that:
	Frome addusden_r :error #   1
	Expected 44.000000, found 44.44233857: wrong charge, increase ecutrho

Finally I think that either my machine has a very nasty problem or
the problem can come from the compiler (I use ifort 12.1.3).
It is not the first time that I have problem with the compiler, so I wonder which version of ifort can I use without problem?
Usually I also use the mkl, but I recompile fftw3 and openmpi with ifort. Is it the more stable way to do?

Thanks in advance for your response

Virginie Trinité