[Pw_forum] k point grid hybrid functionals

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Mon Apr 15 13:08:38 CEST 2013

On 04/15/2013 12:23 PM, "Valentina Dellacà C.R.F. S.C.p.A." wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having some doubts concerning nqx1,2,3 and K points grid when
> using hybrid functionals. As I understand, please let me know if I am
> wrong, there is no specific rule in how to choose the q point grid,
> for a given k point grid. The advice is to choose them to be the same,
> in order to avoid convergence issues. My question now is, since I read
> in hybrid functional README, that a shift in the q point grid is not
> implemented, can I pick a shifted k-point grid and a non shifted q
> point grid? Would it be better to pick two unshifted grids?

Dear Valentina,
the grids are {k} and {k+q}, where the {q} grid is always
Gamma-centered. In other words, for each k point there is a
corresponding {k+q} grid centered around it.

There is the additional constraint that each k+q point (for every k and
q) must be related to one of the initial k points by a G vector of the
reciprocal lattice and eventually a symmetry operation. I think this
condition should not cause any problem if the {k} grid is shifted, but
I'm not 100% sure.

In the limit where the {q} grid contains only the Gamma point, than each
k-point exchanges only with itself (not with Gamma!). In the opposite
limit where the {q} grid has the same spacing as the {k} one (which may
include a shift) then the {k} grid becomes equivalent to the {k+q} one,
for every k. I.e.  the {k} grid and any {k+q} grid are just shifted and
re-indexed w.r.t each other.

I hope this helps, it is a bit confusing but it makes sense eventually.

bests

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6