[Pw_forum] How to add semicore state electron to valance state?

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Sun Apr 7 12:04:41 CEST 2013

On 04/07/2013 06:57 AM, Yue-Wen Fang wrote:
> During pp's generation, i want to add the semicore state electron to
> the valance state, but the core state will be changed.
> Taking strontium electronic configuration as an example, the ground
> state config of Sr atom is [Kr]5s2, but after all-electron
> calculation, i think we must add 4s and 4p semicore state should
> included in valance state. If i set the electron config like [Ar]3d10
> 4s2 4p6 5s2, this pp would be very hard and poor transferability
> because the 3d state is much deeper than 4s and 4p state.
> Then how to set this kind of electronic configuration?

Dear Yue-Wen Fang,
the core/valence partition is not determined by the "config" variable,
but by the configuration you specify after the &inputp namelist. Let's
take Tantalum as an example, you can specify its all-electron
configuration as

[Xe] 4f14 5d3 6s2

or

[Kr] 5s2 4d10 5p6 4f14 5d3 6s2

it does not matter. The states that go to valence have to be specified
later on.

bests

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto