[Pw_forum] graphene conduction bands

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Thu Apr 4 13:42:55 CEST 2013

Dear Fabrizio,

1) in the band structure of graphene you not only have the \pi \pi^star
manifold, but many free electron parabolic bands overlapping (see e.g.
just googling
http://www.intechopen.com/source/html/17504/media/image2.png ). Try
using 15-20 bands, instead of 5

2) in the region where things go amiss, it looks like PWSCF is not
giving you always the lowest possible band, but most often around gamma
the second lowest possible band (i.e. the 6th band) and only
occasionally the 5th band. This is somewhat related to Davidson
diagonalization finding eigenstates, but not necessarly the lowest ones
- it would be interesting to see what would happen if you'd specify
"random" as the choice for starting wavefunctions, use a very tight
tolerance for convergence, and maybe switch from Davidson to "cg" -
then the code would probably always get the lowest 5th band (i.e. the
lowest parabolic free electron close to gamma, and \pi close to
K/M).

			nicola