[Pw_forum] The cell blowing up in MD simulation

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Wed Sep 26 22:03:44 CEST 2012

On Sep 26, 2012, at 19:55 , Tian Lan wrote:

> So It means that I cannot exactly copy the setup of scf calculation
> to the cp calculation
> because in scf I used a much denser k-mesh but cp calculation only
> uses the Gamma
> point. Then how could I do the best to eliminate this difference in
> the MD calculation?
> I just find a blowing supercell in MD that otherwise in equilibrium
> in scf.

the simplest and fastest test is to compare the results of self-
consistent calculations
for cp.x (no dynamics, just electronic minimization) and for pw.x for
the same data
(use card K_POINTS gamma). Compare the energies and the stresses. The
choice
of nr1b, nr2b, nr3b (if needed) is not completely obvious: you have
to find a compromise
between speed (incrases for decreasing values), and accuracy, taking
into account that
accuracy doesn't actually improve if you increase those values beyond
some limits
(useless long-range oscillations of the augmentation charges is all
you see)

Paolo
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222