[Pw_forum] make error (module global_version.mod)

Filippo Spiga spiga.filippo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:41:06 CEST 2012

Dear Jennifer,

all CRAY XE6 machines have PGI compiler. I do suggest to use that compiler instead of the GNU GFORTRAN.  On a CRAY machine I just did these steps to compile and run:

[log into the system]
$ module swap PrgEnv-cray PrgEnv-pgi
$ svn checkout svn+ssh://spigafi@qeforge.qe-forge.org/svnroot/q-e/trunk/espresso
$ cd espresso
$ ./configure --enable-openmp --enable-parallel --with-scalapack
$ vim make.sys

added manually "-D__IOTK_WORKAROUND1" at the end of "DFLAGS" line

$ make all

And I do not have any problem at all. All the executable are under "bin/"

$ ls bin
average.x    cp.x       ev.x                         iotk.x      neb.x                 plotproj.x  pw2gw.x         q2qstar.x         wannier_plot.x
band_plot.x  d3.x       fqha.x                       kpoints.x   path_interpolation.x  plotrho.x   pw2wannier90.x  q2r.x             wfdd.x
bands_FS.x   dist.x     generate_vdW_kernel_table.x  kvecs_FS.x  phcg.x                pmw.x       pwcond.x        sumpdos.x
bands.x      dos.x      initial_state.x              lambda.x    ph.x                  pp.x        pw_export.x     turbo_lanczos.x
bgw2pw.x     dynmat.x   iotk                         ld1.x       plan_avg.x            projwfc.x   pwi2xsf.x       turbo_spectrum.x
cppp.x       epsilon.x  iotk_print_kinds.x           matdyn.x    plotband.x            pw2bgw.x    pw.x            wannier_ham.x

Now, despite what people can imagine, every CRAY machine deployed can have different environment. For example on the machine I usually use for tests since it is a developer machine (half XE6, half XE6) I do have to unload some modules to make QE running properly. On another CRAY, in a HPC centre here in Switzerland, there is also Intel compiler as option and the system is slightly different compared to the other. So my recipe should work, 99% of the cases. I strongly suggest you to use PGI, also for a performance point of view. If you only have the GNU compiler (weird situation, CRAY usually sells the full package) I should give a more detailed look to your issue.

I can also help to figure out your environment but I need the output of the command "module list" just after you logged in into the system. I can see that you work for a private company, if you feel more comfortable to share specific details of your system in private is perfectly understandable.

Happy computing.

Best Regards,
Filippo

--
Mr. Filippo SPIGA, M.Sc., Ph.D. Candidate
CADMOS - Chair of Numerical Algorithms and HPC (ANCHP)

«Nobody will drive us out of Cantor's paradise.» ~ David Hilbert