[Pw_forum] phonon branch sorting

Derek Stewart stewart at cnf.cornell.edu
Fri Oct 26 16:23:09 CEST 2012

Dear Bo and Lorenzo,

I have one more suggestion on the issue of phonon branch sorting. I ran
into this problem a while back, while working on a project on thermal
transport in indium arsenide nanowires.  I ended up using an sorting
algorithm that Keith Refson developed for use with phonon calculations
in the CASTEP code.  This script works by calculating overlap matrices
between eigenvectors at neighboring q-points.  Keith recently licensed
this script as GPL and I have written a tool to convert the matdyn
phonon output to the CASTEP phonon format.  For my project, I found that
as long as you have a fairly dense mesh of q-points, it worked very well.

I am planning to put these scripts up on the web soon once I have a
short example run to go with it.  I'll send a note to the PWSCF forum
when it is ready.  Bo, in the meantime, I would be happy to send you the
scripts if you are interested.

Best regards,

Derek

Derek Stewart, Ph. D.