[Pw_forum] very large value 'U' obtained for 'GaAs' by linear response method

giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it giuseppe.mattioli at mlib.ism.cnr.it
Mon Oct 8 11:14:42 CEST 2012

Dear all

Burak has indeed described well the problem, but something more can be
said: the Ga 3d shell (as well as the Zn 3d shell in ZnO) is almost
atomic-like and give rise to a very narrow band in III-V
semiconductors, horribly affected by delocalisation (aka
self-interaction) problems. This band is raised in energy far more
than the As (3p) valence band; so the two bands are mixed (and they
should not) and the valence band maximum is pushed up towards the
conduction band minimum. Moreover, you cannot extract meaningful
self-consistent U values by linear response procedures in the limit of
a simplified "on-site, one-shell" approach. However, it is not
forbidden to use "semi-empirical" U values, as long as you have a good
knowledge of the physics of your system... The above problems in DFT
calculations of GaAs and ZnO are addressed in a Zunger paper, very
long and quite... difficult to flick through.

Lany, S. and Zunger, A.; Phys. Rev. B 78, 235104 ͑(2008͒).

In a short, you may try to decouple the Ga (3d) band from the As (3p)
band by hammering with some empirical U value the head of the Ga 3d
band. And you can recover a very good band gap value by pushing down
(more softly...) the As 3p band. You may test your results against a
hybrid functional. I've done it in the case of ZnO, and I've obtained
quite good results.

Matteo suggest that the Ga 3d has to be included in the calculation.
In my experience (but I'm the "empirical" kind of computational
guy...) The Ga 3d shell is mandatory in the case of GaN if you want a
good lattice parameter. In the case of GaAs you can obtain good
results (band gap included) by embedding the Ga 3d electrons within
the Ga pseudopotential, and by using a NLCC approach.
This leads to some kind of decoupling of the Ga 3d and As 3p bands. I
remember some old papers (2000-2005) by Van de Walle and Neugebauer on
GaN in which a Ga PP without 3d shell was used after a lattice
parameter optimisation performed by using a Ga PP with 3d shell.

HTH

Giuseppe