[Pw_forum] generalized eigen values

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Oct 3 13:43:42 CEST 2012

plane waves form an orthonormal basis set.

whether this defines a generalized eigenvalue problem or not depends on
what you use planewaves for.
If they expand the full vawefunction (as in norm-conserving PP) you have
a normal eigenvalue problem ,
if you expand the pseudo part of a wfc that needs to be augmented to
reconstruct the charge density (USPP or PAW) a generalized eigenvalue
problem results.

stefano