[Pw_forum] IMPORTANT: QE Open Invitation to Contribute

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Oct 2 08:43:07 CEST 2012

*=========================================**
**
**- OPEN INVITATION TO CONTRIBUTE -**
**
**TO: All users and developers who would like to share their independent**
**local developments of tools and features written for Quantum ESPRESSO**
**package with the community. **
**=========================================*

Dear All,

Quantum ESPRESSO (QE) is a very successful initiative thanks to the effort
and contribution of you, as developers and users, which we gratefully
acknowledge.  Our community and software, in the spirit of open source,
has grown outside the borders of its initial creation.
We are excited by the news of several independent developments, analysis
tools and new features that have been developed in excellent research
groups scattered around the globe.

However, we have come to realize that some of these developments,
although they would be of great value to the community, have not found
their way into the current distribution of QE package, and therefore do
not get their deserved visibility and recognition.

One reason for this may be the legitimate interest of a group to keep
these developments private. We believe, however, that a more common
reason is that these features have been implemented, often with some
significant effort, in an outdated QE version: porting them to the
current version would require a considerable effort. This, however,
forces the potentially contributing group to use an outdated QE version,
thus preventing them from benefiting from new features and bug fixes.
We believe this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Of course, there is no easy solution but we would like to start exploring
some possible options.  As a first practical action, we would like
to compile an inventory of independent developments, in the form of
features/analysis tools/developments, implemented in some version of QE,
that would be happily shared if the "porting issue" could be solved.

The main purpose of this message is therefore to invite all potentially
interested contributors to send a statement of their possible contribution
to the address q-e-developers at qe-forge.org.

Everybody willing to be involved (or to be kept updated) in this process
is welcome to subscribe to the q-e-developers mailing list
(http://www.qe-forge.org/mailman/listinfo/q-e-developers, see also
CONTACTS section of www.quantum-espresso.org).

    Best regards,

    Stefano de Gironcoli, Paolo Giannozzi, Layla MartinSamos, Emine
Kucukbenli, Stefano Baroni