[Pw_forum] Elastic Constants

Ben Palmer benpalmer1983 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:39:36 CET 2012

Hi,

I've read a number of forum posts about calculating elastic constants,
but I was hoping someone could give me some advice.  (I'm trying to
calculate the elastic constants of bcc Iron).

 From what I have read, there are two ways I could do this:

1) Relax the unit cell with vc-relax, deform the cell (by about 0.5-1%)
and relax internally with relax.  I'd then have the stress tensor of the
deformed cell.

2) Deform the relaxed cell at regular strain intervals, then fit a
polynomial to the strain-energy data.

Am I right in saying I have those two options, or am I partly or
completely wrong?

If I tried the first option, it's been said to calculate the elastic
constants from the strain-stress relationship.  Would that mean solving
the equation:

Tij = Cijkl Ekl  the ijkl are subscripts, T stress, E strain, C
stiffness tensor

I'm fairly new to the subject so I could be quite wrong in what I've said.

Thanks

Ben Palmer
Student @ University of Birmingham UK