[Pw_forum] Determining Bandgap with DOS

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Fri May 18 09:37:08 CEST 2012

Dear Izaak,

a few preliminary questions you might find helpful answering before
going on:

- have you used a sufficient number of k points?

- have you used a sufficiently dense energy grid in the plot?

- how is it possible that the curve "without smearing" is more smeared
than the one "with smearing"? Check what default values are.

- why do you indicate by arrows not the state found in the DOS, but the
energy point at which your gaussian (of arbitrary width indeed) looks
different from zero?

- why not looking at eigenvalues printed by pw.x on output to get the
real (computed) numbers? (Yet the DOS plot is helpful to get an overview)

Hope this helps.
Guido

--
Guido Fratesi

Dipartimento di Scienza dei Materiali
Universita` degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
via Cozzi 53, 20125 Milano, Italy