[Pw_forum] cutoff convergence of sapphire for elastic properties

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon May 7 16:07:52 CEST 2012

Stress tensors tend to be very slow in their convergence - my
understanding is that if one were to compare two approaches -
minimum of the energy as a function of lattice parameter,
or the zero of the trace of the strain, the latter would converge much
more slowly with respect to cutoff.

This slowly convergent contributions were, at least in III-V
semiconductors, fairly independent of the local chemistry, so they
really looked like something rigid (a better description of the part
inside the core).

How much does 1 kbar error translates into an error in lattice
parameter? (keep atoms fixed, using relative coordinates, cutoff fixed,
and expand celldm(1) by 0.3% - what's the change in stress? that change
should be very well converged)

I'd try to find the equilibrium celldm(1) from the minimum of the
energy, for a given configuration of the ions (not relaxed, in relative
coordinates), at different cutoffs, to get a sense of what it should be.

Then, at the minimum celldm(1), monitor the stress tensor, to see if it
converges at high cutoff to zero trace.

			nicola