[Pw_forum] Work function calculation

vasudevan m.v vasudev.tcr at gmail.com
Sun May 6 06:01:45 CEST 2012

Dear all
                          I was trying to calculate work function of *
Au(111)* surface using Quantum Espresso 4.2.1. I used a 9 layer slab along
with 22Å vacuum. I first did a relax calculation and then post processing
to extract potential (sum of Coulomb potential and Hartree part ) . Then
took the planar average of this potential. I got a strange graph which I
have attached with this mail. **

1 Why shape of graph is coming like this ?
2 What is the need of excluding exchange correlation potential in
calculating Work function ?

I changed the pseudo potential and obtained same pattern of graph.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Vasudevan M V
JNCASR
Bangalore