[Pw_forum] benzoic acid structure optimization

matt reish reishme04 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 04:53:56 CEST 2012

Hi PW list,

I am working with Quantum Espresso (v4.3.2.1) in the hopes of attaining
Raman phonon frequencies of a benzoic acid crystal. I attained the
optimized output geometry from a CASTEP calculation in the supplemental
material of a paper. This geometry was used by the authors to calculate
accurate IR phonon frequencies. I used a 'relax' calculation in Quantum
Espresso on the optimized geometry but this led to large shifts in the
atomic positions in the lattice and unreasonable structures for the
molecules in the lattice after finding the optimized structure. My question
is does anyone have a some experience calculating organic crystals in
Quantum Espresso that could give me some tips?

Here is my input file minus the atomic posititions:

&CONTROL
                       title = 'benzacidscftest' ,
                 calculation = 'relax' ,
                restart_mode = 'from_scratch' ,
                      outdir = '/home/mreish/tmp/' ,
                  pseudo_dir = '/usr/share/espresso/pseudo/' ,
                      prefix = 'batest5' ,
                     disk_io = 'default' ,
                       nstep = 600 ,
 /