[Pw_forum] Rydberg to KJ/mole - polymorphs

Guntram Schmidt guntram.schmidt at chemie.uni-halle.de
Wed Mar 21 14:53:33 CET 2012

Thanks for the fast reply!

This leaves me to the problem of the interpretation of the results.

Has anyone experience with the calculation of polymorphic molecular
crystals?

My energy differences of 120 and 240 kJ/mole are far too high for
polymorphs (see ref [1]).
Am I mistaken to equalize the "total energy" of pwscf-output with the
"lattice energy" (former "structure energy")?
I'm aware of the missing Entropy - but it is told to be negligible small...

I do use nc pseudopotentials and my system is composed of
triphenylphosphine moities with aminobenzoic acids connected.
I'll attach the input lines [2].

Thanks a lot for further assistance,
Guntram

[1] Gavezzotti, A., & Filippini, G. (1995). Polymorphic Forms of Organic
Crystals at Room Conditions: Thermodynamic and Structural Implications.
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 117(49), 12299-12305.
doi:10.1021/ja00154a032

[2]
&control
    calculation = 'scf',
    restart_mode='from_scratch',
    prefix='i2t0491.xyz.50.200',
    tstress = .true.,
    tprnfor = .true.,
    pseudo_dir = '/pseudo/',
    outdir='/tmp/i2t0491.xyz.50.200/',
    verbosity = 'high',
/
&system
  ibrav = 14,
  A = 14.8387,
  B = 14.8390,
  C = 18.0441,
  cosAB = 0,
  cosAC = 0,
  cosBC = 0,
  nat = 392,
  ntyp = 5,
  occupations = 'fixed',
  ecutwfc = 50,
  ecutrho = 200,
  input_dft = 'vdW-DF',
/
&electrons
     conv_thr        = 1.0d-8,
     electron_maxstep= 1000,
/

ATOMIC_SPECIES
  P 1.0 P.rpb-nc.UPF
  O 1.0 O.rpb-nc.UPF
  N 1.0 N.rpb-nc.UPF
  H 1.0 H.rpb-nc.UPF
  C 1.0 C.rpb-nc.UPF

ATOMIC_POSITIONS angstrom
  C       2.883901    5.973588   10.295242
.
.
.
K_POINTS automatic