[Pw_forum] problem with neb calculations / openmpi

Torstein Fjermestad torstein.fjermestad at kjemi.uio.no
Thu Mar 15 20:48:18 CET 2012

 Dear Dr. Kohlmeyer,

 Thank you for your suggestion. Since yesterday I have made some
 progress, and I know think I see a more systematic behavior. What I did
 was first to recompile pw.x and neb.x with a newer version of openmpi
 (openmpi/1.4.3.gnu). Apparently this made the openmpi error message
 disappear.
 pw.x now works without problem, but neb.x only works when one node
 (with 8 processors) is requested. I have run two tests requesting two
 nodes (16 processors) and in both cases I see the same erroneous
 behavior:

 The output file is only 13 lines long and the last three lines are as
 follows:

      Parallel version (MPI), running on     2 processors
      path-images division:  nimage    =    8
      R & G space division:  proc/pool =    2

 In the working directory of the calculations the files of type out.5_0
 contain several million repetitions of the error message

       Message from routine  read_line :
       read error

 I think this behavior is general because it is rather unlikely that
 both calculations accidentally are submitted to a defect node. To me it
 seems like there is some kind of failure in the communication between
 the nodes.

 I should certainly contact the sysadmin of the machine, but in order to
 make their work easier, I would like to make sure whether the erroneous
 behavior is caused by the machine or by the compilation/installation of
 quantum espresso.

 If anyone has had similar experiences before, it would be nice if you
 could share ideas on possible causes.

 Thanks in advance.

 Yours sincerely,

 Torstein Fjermestad