[Pw_forum] [LDA+U] elements in occupation matrix are real number?

Alex Smogunov asmogunov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:46:05 CET 2012

Dear Chan-Woo.
The n matrix is always hermitian, it is clear from definition. In the case
of
collinear LSDA there is always psi_sigma --> psi_sigma* symmetry, due
to hermicity of Hamiltonians for each spin, which can be considered as the
time-reversal operation. This is why you always have k --> -k symmetry
even if you do not have inversion operation. Because of this time-reversal
symmetry one can readily see that the n matrix should be real.
It is not anymore the case in general noncollinear calculation where the
occupation matrix is in general complex (and hermitian).

Concerning negative eigenvalues, I think they are just small numbers,
probably due to computational errors, which should be thought of as 0.

regards,
Alexander