[Pw_forum] how to calculate and plot HOMO or LUMO isosurface

Franklin Zhan zhanhit at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:13:22 CEST 2012

Hi Filipe,
Thanks for you reply which makes me clearer a little bit.
I will try to figure out it.

Best regards,

Franklin Zhan
Ph.D student
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.

From: flima at if.usp.br
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 03:43:30 -0300
To: pw_forum at pwscf.org
Subject: Re: [Pw_forum] how to calculate and plot HOMO or LUMO isosurface

Dear Zhan,
The number of electrons on your system determines the occupied bands and consequently the HOMO level.
So, What you need to do?
First, check the number of electron that you are using. (If you are using the O default pseudopotencials it should be 6 valence electrons)

Then, you'll have 12 electrons and 6 bands (each bands is occupied by 2 electrons).
Now check your output file, which is generated using the pw.x code.The band number 6 represents your HOMO level and the band number 7 is the LUMO one.

So, now you know your bands. Then you can obtain the wavefunction.
You will need to run the pp.x twice: one for HOMO and another for LUMO.kband=6 (to plot HOMO)

andkdand=7 (to plot LUMO)
I hope it will solve your problem,
Best regards,

Filipe Camargo Dalmatti Alves Lima
PhD Student
University of São Paulo, Physics Institute, Materials Physics Department, Nanomol Group, Brazil.
Phones:    (11) 3091-6881  (USP)
                (11) 8249-4628 (TIM)