[Pw_forum] Why does Ewald sum calculation need so much RAM

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Wed Jul 18 21:21:47 CEST 2012

I cannot see any evidence from your files that the Ewald term
is responsible for the large RAM and CPU requirements. A lot
of time is spent in the initialization phase ("phq_init"), mostly
in subroutines "drho" and "dvanqq". These calculates terms
required by the PAW and USPP formalism. The rest of the time
is spent in computing the linear response ("phqscf") by solving
a linear system ("solve_linter"), but again, most of the time is
spent in the calculation of PAW/US specific terms ("addusdbec",
"addusddens").

Some improvement could be achieved with a better chosen
parallelization: the number of "pools" should be a divisor of
the number of k-points (so 8 pools is not a good choice with
12 k-points). Note however that
- some calculations cannot be parallelized over k-points
- some other calculations (especially PAW/USPP specific
   stuff) are not parallelized at all
so there is a limit to what parallelization can achieve here
without some work on the code. The phonon code is not
yet ready to be run on very large systems (hundreds of
atoms), and for USPP and PAW, not even on not-so-large
systems. Promises of better scalability have yet to
materialize.

I also notice a disproportionately large cutoff (70Ry).
One of the advantages of PAW/USPP over Norm
Conserving PP is to allow the usage of a much smaller
cutoff. For a Si-Li system, 70Ry seems to me a lot
(unless you are using all-electron Li: with a 1-el Li,
  you could run with norm-conserving PP at a
smaller cutoff).

About the repeated initialization: this is something that
shouldn't be difficult to fix, as long as you run on the
same machine and can read previously written files.
It requires however some modifications of the code
and some understanding of what is going on. The
PAW/USPP formalism is very complex for phonon
calculations and requires the calculation of a
disproportionate number of terms.

P.