[Pw_forum] Why does Ewald sum calculation need so much RAM

Thomas Gruber thomas.gruber at physik.tu-freiberg.de
Wed Jul 18 16:12:06 CEST 2012

> are we talking about RAM, or about CPU, or both, and in which
> subroutine exactly?
To save CPU time it gets a RAM problem because this is the limiting factor.
> it was done in this way because the Ewald part has never been a
> serious problem for anybody until now.
It looks like it is in my case.
> sure there is, but you need to locate exactly where too much cpu time
> is spent and where too much RAM is required. Then, we can discuss
> about possible solutions. P.
I attached a graphic of the RAM usage for an "-npool 8" calculation and
added the output file named after the time stamp from the graphic. I
can't tell you more than it takes almost three days to print the line "
PHONON       :     2d   18h22m CPU        2d   21h55m WALL" and it uses
4 times more RAM than in the scf iterations afterward. Unfortunately the
scaling is not very good:
>   With 16 cores it takes "3d
> 6h" and on 32 cores it takes "2d 16h" and I have only 5 days on that
> cluster for one job.
What is the program doing during this time and can I do it only once and
give it as input for the other splited phonon calculations?
I tried to use the "-npool" flag, but I can't use it because my RAM is
to "small" (64GB+, some nodes have more). To save time I like to put
more representations in one job, but because of this time demanding step
I get over the time limit of 5 days. So i have to repeat this
calculations 450 times instead of once.

Thanks in advance.

--
Thomas Gruber