[Pw_forum] NEB in QE 4.3: NaN values of some of the initially generated images

Torstein Fjermestad torstein.fjermestad at kjemi.uio.no
Mon Jan 16 20:11:12 CET 2012

 Dear all,

 I have recently made several attempts to submit a NEB calculation using
 Quantum Espresso version 4.3.
 Unfortunately, every attempt fails with the program printing NaN values
 instead of the Cartesian coordinates for some of the initial images. For
 instance, in the .path file corresponding to the attached input file,
 image 3 and 4 (num_of_images=5) consists entirely of NaN values instead
 of real Cartesian coordinates. Of cause, if some of the initial images
 consist only of NaN values the calculation has no chance of continuing.

 There have been significant changes in the way to submit a NEB
 calculation between version 4.2.1 and version 4.3, and to test whether
 the same behavior would occur in version 4.2.1, I submitted a NEB
 calculation with QE version 4.2.1 with exactly the same input
 structures. In that case the program had no problem in generating the
 initial images. Because of this I think we can exclude the possibility
 of the error being caused by the input coordinates themselves.

 In the script I used to submit the calculation, the line to run the
 neb.x executable is the following:

 mpirun -np 16 -npernode 8 neb.x -inp neb_11.inp > neb_11.out

 Have any of you come across a similar problem before?
 Does anyone have suggestions on how to prevent the NaN values from
 appearing?

 Thanks in advance.

 Yours sincerely

 Torstein Fjermestad