[Pw_forum] RPA+EXX in PWscf

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Jan 12 19:43:10 CET 2012

Dear Yun-Peng Wang, Abdesalem HOUARI, dear All,

    EXX+RPA is a quite interesting approach to be explored but it very
far from being released publicly, because  there are a number of
important issues to be addressed before it can be used by anyone as a
black box, in particular we are working on the calculation of the scf
RPA potential. It is yet to be explored the quality of the approximation
in critical systems and how important the self consistency is. A number
of things have to be understood before we can release it publicly.
    So:
    If you are interested in applying it to some applications, forget it
for the next 5-10 yrs (I'm possibly exaggerating, some bright young
people will join the effort later this year).
    If you are interested in working on its development and you have a
strong background in electronic structure and/or scientific coding...
let's talk about.
    If you are interested to systems with significant vdW interaction
you should try to use vdw-DF functionals and keep an eye on future
developments.

Stefano de Gironcoli