[Pw_forum] Space groups

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Thu Jan 5 22:15:03 CET 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 22:00 , Payam Norouzzadeh wrote:

> I'm interested to know if QE can recognize the space groups of
> structures or not?

it recognizes the symmetry (if present) but it doesn't associate it to a
specific space group

> if no how the structural symmetries of crystals are kept during
> relaxation procedure?
> Is it possible that relaxation process change the space group number?

structural optimization using forces doesn't break symmetry,
by construction (except for numerical noise)

P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222