[Pw_forum] Pseudo directory error

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 19:19:39 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Bramha Pandey <pandey.bramha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Ari,
> you can downloaded ifortron for non-commercial purposes without any
> restriction with license agreement.

this is wrong on two counts:

a) academic use is *not* non-commercial use. intel is *very* clear about it.
    you just need to read the terms that you agreed to. in one sentence it says:

   "Non-commercial software development means you are not paid and/or
compensated in any form, by anyone."

   this means, if you work in academia as a researcher or study to get a degree,
   you *are* being compensated and thus are not allowed to use the
non-commercial version.

b) if course, also the non-commercial version has (many) restrictions on how
   the license applies and what is a violation of the licensing terms.
the fact that
   you (illegally?) didn't pay for it, doesn't mean that you can do
what you like.
   this even applies to quantum espresso.

as ari said, most people probably don't pay attention... and one can only assume
that intel is turning a blind eye toward it. *so far*.

axel.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at gmail.com  http://goo.gl/1wk0