[Pw_forum] Energy window in STM simulation

David Pullman dpullman at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Dec 11 11:33:39 CET 2012

Dear Gabriele,
Thanks very much.  I understand better now the
idea behind including states that are outside the
energy window defined by Ef and
Ef+sample_bias.  I'm still confused about
something, though.  Let's say we're simulating a
room temperature STM image of a metal or
semimetal.  Here's my logic-- please correct me
if I'm wrong.  Typical smearing widths of the
order of 0.01 Ry correspond to non-negligible
populations of excited states (for Fermi-Dirac
smearing, 0.01 is equivalent to ~1500K).  It
seems to me that when you add in states to the
LDOS that are, say, above the Tersoff-Hamann
energy window, then you could very well be adding
in charge density from states composed of
higher-index periodic functions [psi=planewave *
periodic function] that really shouldn't
contribute much to the LDOS at 300K.  The shapes
of these higher-index periodic functions could
distort the STM image.  So, to minimize the
distortion, you'd want to run the PW calculation
at a rather low smearing width (~0.002 Ry), which
of course would require a finer k-point mesh.  Does this argument make sense?

Thanks,
David