[Pw_forum] Further reduce disk IO for ph.x

Yao Yao yao.yao at unsw.edu.au
Fri Dec 7 07:25:51 CET 2012

Dear All,

I have been working with a lot of phononic calculations with ph.x. It worked
very well. However, ph.x do a lot of writing. On a 48-core compute node, it
takes ~35MB/s disk IO band width (estimated from network traffic of that node,
which is without local disk). I tried "reduce_dio" option, which reduce the
rate to ~20MB/s.

However this is still not enough for me. Our cluster has ~40 such nodes. If I
run more than ~7 jobs concurrently, my jobs will deplete the disk IO
bandwidth. Then everything will be very slow. A simple "ls" command will take
~10 seconds to return.

I'm seeking a way to further reduce disk IO for ph.x. I don't need recover
though I have limited run duration per job, because I can continue with
"start_q" and "last_q", which is very nice.

For these disk IO, is it writing output files or swapping out data to save RAM?
Since the total output file size is small compared to the disk IO bandwidth, I
guess the answer is the latter one, right? If yes, where is the data swap file
located? Can I customise the path? I want to put it in /dev/shm, which is a
48GB RAM disk (I have far more RAM than QE needs). On the other hand, if it's
possible to avoid swapping in the expense of more RAM consumption, that's also
OK for me.

I guess putting the whole folder in /dev/shm may work but that's probably my
last option because it requires copy back and forth.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Yao

--