[Pw_forum] ph.x: diagonalization (ZHEGV*) failed at some q-points

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Mon Dec 3 22:09:15 CET 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 19:34 , Thomas Gruber wrote:

>       from cdiaghg : error #       868
>       diagonalization (ZHEGV*) failed
>
> Can someone tell me why

almost invariably, non-positive overlap matrix.

> and what I should do to get my representations?

It may turn out not to be an easy task. Try the following: edit PH/
set_defaults_pw.f90,
change the line
   isolve = 0
   isolve = 1
You may also need to add there a line
   max_cg_iter=20
and add variable max_cg_iter to line
   USE control_flags, ONLY: ...
Recompile. No warranty: if the Davidson algorithm says that the
overlap matrix is
non-positive, it is usually true and it usually comes from less than
optimal
pseudopotentials. Sometimes a different diagonalization algorithm can
go through

  P.
---
Paolo Giannozzi, Dept of Chemistry&Physics&Environment,
Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222