[Pw_forum] K_POINTS automatic

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Dec 3 14:24:16 CET 2012

Dear Vatankhah
The answer depends also on the kind of system... 111 or 000 are two different ways of sampling the
first Brillouin zone. 000 indicates that the Monkhorst-Pack mesh is centered on the Gamma point. On
the contrary, the 111 mesh is shifted from Gamma in order to avoid its inclusion in the mesh, for a
series of (good) reasons. In other words, you are using two different set of k-points, leading to
different DOS plots, which should converge when the k-points mesh is rich enough. A partially
converged mesh will affect metals in a different (stronger) way than insulators or intrinsic
semiconductors.

In practice, you may want to use a (partially) converged 111 mesh to calculate the potential, to
optimize the geometry... After this (scf) run you will run a nscf calculation on a richer, well
converged 000 mesh to calculate your DOS. At least this is what I do...

HTH

Giuseppe

On Monday 03 December 2012 11:44:07 zahra vatankhah wrote:
> Dear Lorenzo,
> Thanks for aswering, but the band structures and also the DOSs are
> different in the two cases even if the Fermi energy is set to zero!
>
> with regards,
> Vatankhah
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Lorenzo Paulatto <
>
> lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr> wrote:
> > On 3 December 2012 09:14, zahra vatankhah <vatankhah.z at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> each option (111 or 000) gives different fermi energy, which one is the
> >> correct fermi for the structure?
> >
> > Dear Zahra,
> > the value Fermi only makes sense relative to the bands structure; if you
> > set the Fermi energy as zero, than the band structure should be the same
> > in the two case.
> >
> > bests
> >

> > --
> > Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
> > IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6
> > phone: +33 (0)1 44275 084 / skype: paulatz
> > www:   http://www-int.impmc.upmc.fr/~paulatto/
> > mail:  23-24/4é16 Boîte courrier 115, 4 place Jussieu 75252 Paris Cédex
> > 05

- Article premier - Les hommes naissent et demeurent
libres et ègaux en droits. Les distinctions sociales
ne peuvent être fondèes que sur l'utilitè commune
- Article 2 - Le but de toute association politique
est la conservation des droits naturels et
imprescriptibles de l'homme. Ces droits sont la libertè,
la propriètè, la sùretè et la rèsistance à l'oppression.

   Giuseppe Mattioli
   v. Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
   I 00015 - Monterotondo Stazione (RM)
   Tel + 39 06 90672836 - Fax +39 06 90672316