[Pw_forum] Memory usage by pw.x

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Thu Aug 30 16:24:56 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 15:54 +0200, Guido Fratesi wrote:

> Yet in my test, the max memory printed by top is 2.3GB within the first
> step of the SCF cycle, but the standard call to memstat in electrons.f90
> returned 744.1 Mb and the one tracked as described above 1168.572 Mb

my (limited) understanding is that the internal call to "memstat"
reports only the dynamically allocated memory; "top" reports all
memory taken by the process, including shared libraries and whatnot.
It seems to me that the difference, (2.3-1.2)Gb=1.1Gb, is a lot
of memory, but I have no idea how to figure out where all this
memory come from (or goes to). This is stuff for OS wizards.

P.
--
Paolo Giannozzi, IOM-Democritos and University of Udine, Italy