[Pw_forum] kohn -sham orbitals ortogonality and ortonormality

nazari at iasbs.ac.ir nazari at iasbs.ac.ir
Wed Aug 29 07:43:52 CEST 2012

 Dear Alexey

 Would you please let me know how
the S|psi>  is obtained   with pp.x . I need orthonormal
kohn-sham orbitals.
 Regards
 Fariba Nazari
IASBS

> Dear Fariba,
>

> The Kohn-Sham (please, not kohen) orbitals produced by pp.x are
not
> orthonormalized in general, because of the
pseudo-potentials and
> projection techniques (PAW). However,
practically, you may safely assume
> they are orthogonal and
almost normalized (self-overlaps are not far from
> 1.0). This is
especially true for norm-conserving PP (by construction, the

wavefunctions supposed to preserve norm), and, in slightly smaller extent,

> for ultra-soft pseudopotentials. For PAW wavefunctions the
trick is to
> reconstruct full wavefunction from the projection,
so it is S|psi>. If i
> remember it correctly, the
ortogonality will then be for <psi_i|S|psi_j> =
> delta_ij.
However you can obtain S|psi> with pp.x as well as |psi>.

Please anyone correct me if i'm wrong at some point.

Thank you,

-----