[Pw_forum] kohen -sham orbitals ortogonality and ortonormality

Alexey Akimov aakimov at z.rochester.edu
Tue Aug 28 22:36:15 CEST 2012

Dear Fariba,

The Kohn-Sham (please, not kohen) orbitals produced by pp.x are not orthonormalized in general, because of the pseudo-potentials and projection techniques (PAW). However, practically,  you may safely assume they are orthogonal and almost normalized (self-overlaps are not far from 1.0). This is especially true for norm-conserving PP (by construction, the wavefunctions supposed to preserve norm), and, in slightly smaller extent, for ultra-soft pseudopotentials. For PAW wavefunctions the trick is to reconstruct full wavefunction from the projection, so it is S|psi>. If i remember it correctly, the ortogonality will then be for <psi_i|S|psi_j> = delta_ij. However you can obtain S|psi> with pp.x as well as |psi>.
Please anyone correct me if i'm wrong at some point.

Thank you,
Alexey