[Pw_forum] question about spinors

Gabriele Sclauzero gabriele.sclauzero at epfl.ch
Mon Aug 27 10:04:17 CEST 2012

Hello,

Il giorno 25/ago/2012, alle ore 04.06, Alexey Akimov ha scritto:
> Dear Gabriele,
>
> Thank you for your great comments! So as i understand the key for orbital overlap is additional summation over spin components.

Just to be a bit more pedantic... I would not call them as that, but rather "spinor components", to avoid confusion. In general, when magnetization is non collinear you cannot identify the first component with "spin-up" and the second with "spin-down", unless the magnetization is collinear and oriented along z.

> This makes a lot sense to what i see - the odd-even alteration of 1 or 0 overlaps. In other words Psi_1 = psi_1,1 , Psi_2 = psi_1,2, ... Psi_2n+1 = psi_n,1, Psi_2n+2 = psi_n,2 and then <Psi_1|Psi_1> = <psi_1,1|psi_1,1> = 1, <Psi_2|Psi_2> = <psi_1,2|psi_1,2> = 0 (alteration), but <Psi_1|Psi_1> + <Psi_2|Psi_2> = <psi_1,1|psi_1,1> + <psi_1,2|psi_1,2> = 1, ... (no alteration).

I've got a bit lost here with your notation, but it seems that you got the point. I think you meant "alternation" here, am I correct?

> That is the orbitals written in the output are actually not 1, 2, 3, ... etc, but rather 1,1,  1,2,  2,1,  2,2, ... etc. (here the second index is the spin-state or more precisely the spinor component).

I don't know of which output you are talking about here (pp.x?). Anyway, I think that the wave function coefficients for the first and the second component are stored consecutively in the same array (as said by Paolo in the first reply).

> Also if i understand it correctly we should not consider spin-up and spin-down functions separately. Is this right?

I'm not sure I understand this point correctly, maybe it is related to what I've written above?

> I would appreciate if someone could give some reference (apart from wikipedia and QE tutorials/presentations) for the spinor algebra.

I do not have any references at hand, but I'm pretty sure that if you look up at "Pauli equation" in any good quantum mechanics book (maybe advanced ones) you'll find what you need. Indeed, the fully-relativistic non collinear KS equation is pretty similar to that one.

> Ok. I see the point with the npwx vs. npw. However i was using a single k-point (gamma), so one would expect that this should not introduce additional complications. You also mentioned that the parallelization can effect this - would storing the entire wavefunction in one file solve such issue (wf_collect = .true.) instead of storing it in different files - one per process?

It should, but I'm not sure... you can make a small test.

GS

> Thank you,
> Alexey

§ Gabriele Sclauzero, EPFL SB ITP CSEA