[Pw_forum] question about spinors

Alexey Akimov aakimov at z.rochester.edu
Fri Aug 24 03:38:35 CEST 2012

Dear Paolo,

I'm not sure that i completely understand what you mean by empty coefficients. Also what is npwx, how is it different from npw? Let say npw = 3 and npwx = 4 (very small basis :)) then the overlap of orbital i and orbital j will be:
c_i0^* * c_j0 + c_i1^* * c_j1 + c_i2^* * c_j2 + c_i3^* * c_j3 (four terms as npwx). If, as you say, some coefficients are empty (lets say c_i3 and c_j3) we still have some non-zero terms. I'm not sure if the previous sentence have any sense at all, so sorry if this is something terribly wrong :) - that is why i'm asking.
(^* - means complex conjugate)

Also am i correct that the spin-up and spin-down orbitals are orthogonal not because of the artificial convention <alpha|beta> = 0, but rather by construction of the corresponding plane wave expansions (given by coefficients c_gi )? What i mean is that in localized orbitals e.g. Gaussians the spatial parts of the alpha and beta orbitals are practically the same (exactly in restricted HF or KS approaches), but the orthogonality is then introduced by convention: psi_i_alpa = phi_i * sigma_alpha, psi_j_beta = phi_j * sigma_beta => <psi_i_alpha|psi_j_beta> = <phi_i|phi_j> * <sigma_alpha|sigma_beta>, so even if <phi_i|phi_j> != 0 the orbitals are still orthogonal because <sigma_alpha|sigma_beta> = 0 by convention. So in spin-orbital case do we still need to consider these artificial sigma_alpha, sigma_beta spin-functions or the orthogonality is already included in "spatial" part (so <phi_i|phi_j> = 0 for alpha and beta spin-orbitals)?

Thank you,
Alexey