[Pw_forum] MD restart algorithm in Quantum Espresso

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Fri Aug 17 22:25:40 CEST 2012

About the first point: are you referring to MD on the ground state
("Born-Oppenheimer" MD), done with PWscf (not Car-Parrinello)?
I think that the restart does the correct thing, i.e. use the Verlet
algorithm as if the run was not interrupted, but there might be
some subtle differences in how the threshold for convergence is
calculated, that are more than sufficient to have the two MD
simulations diverge.

About the difference between nstep and the number of steps actually
performed: it shouldn't be difficult to follow variable "nstep" and
see why
this happen

P.