[Pw_forum] Van der Walls interaction

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Aug 13 15:03:10 CEST 2012

dispersion interactions, aka vdW, are not included in LAD/GGA/Hybrid
functionals

this is why DFT-D (switched on by the "london=.true." keyword)
introduces an empirical damp-dispersion term

interaction between permanent dipoles and the one between permanent
charges/dipoles and statically induced dipoles is just electrostatic
and is therefore correctly included in the Hartree term.

Notice that there are new generation of fully non local XC functionals
vdW-DF, vdW-DF2 and soon VV10 (or actually a refinement of it) that
are implemented in QE. Check the beginning of Modules/funct.f90 for a
list of options and some relevant references. As these functionals are
not implemented in the ld1.x code one needs to force their use by the
input_dft keyword.. and chose some reasonable, not too different, xc
functional for the
pseudopotentials.

hope this helps

stefano