[Pw_forum] Error band structure

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Apr 25 19:05:34 CEST 2012

Dear Said
   when you use a supercell many k-point of the original BZ are folded
in the same point of the supercell BZ.  If you use a SC supercell for a
crystal that would have an FCC Bravais lattice (using a cell which has a
4 times larger volume) 4 kpoints of the FCC BZ are folded in any point
of the SC BZ.
   In particular Gamma plus the 3 X points of the FCC BZ are folded into
Gamma of the SC.
   A good exercise would be to compare the band structure of the two
equivalent systems and find the correspondence of each band of the FCC
in the band structure of the SC. You should find perfect matching.
   Best regards,

stefano